Design and implementation of food traceability in Bimbo
Consumer confidence in quality and safety of food products has been hit in recent years by the cumulative impact of heath crisis related to food products. These incidents and the likelihood of others in the future, have forced industry to consider whether the potential costs of not having a traceability have already exceeded by much the cost of implementing it.
Undertaking a traceability project brings a considerable amount of advantages:
- Compliance with legislation in force in each country (reducing the administrative penalty risk, with the direct economic cost that it entails).
- Better product identification throughout the supply chain (which recursively is a problem in almost any size of organization).
- Other opportunities for “collateral” improvement (process time reduction due to labor automation, elimination of manual tasks or duplication, errors in preparing and delivery decrease, better production and inventory control, reducing returns due to expired shelf-life, processes and systems standardization in different centres, etc.).
Usually, there are no universal solutions it’s coming up with customized solutions that are needed withholding the business characteristics of each client.
Consultia IT’s experience suggests that the following elements should be included:
- Definition of an optimal production batch. It must be a uniform amount of finished product that has undergone the some transformation process and which registration must be unique from its origin (production) until its end (placing on the market).
- Consideration of critical points in the manufacturing and supply chain. In all clients, there are a number of key activities for their functioning and which have to be taken in account when a traceability solution is designed and implemented (daily production control, quality control interventions, date control in order to do product withdrawal, returns control, retrofitting processes)
- The GS1 labeling standards applied on UVs, UAs y UMs.
- Architecture based on ERP without intermediate systems in the process and with mobile devices integration (RF online or offline) or fixed enables capturing information of orders and movements throughout the whole logistic chain, even when the product is handed to logistic distributers/operators and there is no control of the customer’s order.
- Integration with distributors and customers by means of EDI / XML / Distributor Portals.
Consultia IT designed and implemented complete traceability in Bimbo Spain for all its 9 production plants and its 64 delegations, which provide to more than 1.100 supply routes, implementing logistic labelling and new ways of order preparation for their different product ranges as well as a location search information system for batches and handling units.Download Documento